The American Chamber of Commerce in Canada (AmCham Canada) monthly e-Communique -- News, Activities and Events driving U.S.-Canada Cross-Border Business.
AmCham Canada National Update
- LAST CHANCE! The AmCham Canada - Nanos U.S. Business Confidence Survey, presented by PNC Bank is underway. If you are affiliated with or represent a U.S-owned company operating in Canada, we urge you to register on the AmChamCanada.ca website as a survey participant. The survey takes but minutes and your opinions are totally confidential and will be grouped with other executives of U.S. owned businesses in Canada. Click here to register
- Toronto-GTA Chapter has appointed Bill Kitay as Executive Director, effective April 30, 2017. Click here
In the News
Business, Trade and Economic
- It’s time for Canadian Industry to knock on U.S. doors: Canada Institute director. The Globe and Mail.
- The U.S. dairy industry is appealing to President Donald Trump for help after Canadian companies halted some imports, exacerbating a glut of milk on the American side of the border and forcing one of the country’s biggest butter producers to scrap supply contracts with farmers. Financial Post
- Canada’s labour market stays strong in March, as factory jobs post biggest gain since 2002, 19,400 jobs gained in March as Canada’s economy continues to improve while the US only gained 98,000 vs 180,000 expected. Global News and CNBC
- Canada swings back to surprise trade deficit. In February Canada posted a $972 million trade deficit when Canada was expected to have a $600 million trade surplus. January’s was also revised down about $400 million from previous estimates. Market Watch
- Maine wants U.S. help to prevent lobster trade gap with Canada, Due to CETA coming into place, Lobster fisherman in Maine are concerned that they will be at a disadvantage to Canada for selling Lobster to Europe. CTV News
- The Canadian Government is seeking input on a possible FTA between China and Canada. Please send in your comments so all positions may be considered.
- Trade made Canada great: Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz, at numerous sites, such as the junction of the Gatineau and Ottawa rivers near what is now Parliament Hill, evidence of trading stretches back centuries. Financial Post
- Federal minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food and P.E.I. MP Lawrence MacAulay has wrapped up a trade mission to Vietnam and India. He visited to promote crops such as grains and oilseeds. The Guardian
Politics, Policy and Think Tank
- New internal trade deal expected to add billions to Canadian economy, The deal, which takes effect July 1, establishes a process to reconcile regulations in different provinces that make trade or labour mobility difficult. Canadian Business
- Border tax may be more harmful to U.S. economy than Canada’s: Morneau, Canada’s Finance Minister made his warning in New York on April 3rd. He stated it would be initially negative for both economies but may affect the US worse. Globe and Mail
- U.S. to probe why it has trade deficit with countries like Canada, Trump’s executive order calls for an investigation into why the US has trade deficits with 16 countries including Canada. CBC
- Canada in informal trade talks with U.K. ahead of Brexit since Canada cannot seek an official trade negotiations until Britain has left the EU. CBC
- Revisiting the Link between Trade, Growth and Inequality: Lessons for Latin America and the Caribbean, not directly US-Canada trade but an interesting paper from the IMF on the impacts of trade on growth and inequality. Spoiler alert: the IMF found that there were substantial positive impacts to growth and no statistically evident impacts to inequality. IMF
Market Pulse, Culture and Blogs
- Dentons releases an annual Dentons' pick of global regulatory trends to watch in 2017. It includes things to watch in regards to trade and regulation for Canada.
- May 02 (Ottawa) AmCham Canada Defense & Security committee meeting (Ottawa)
- May 17 (Buffalo) 2017 World Trade Celebration-A Trade Advocate navigates risks ahead, here
- May 18 (Calgary) Save the Date: Questor Technologies President & CEO, Audrey Mascarenhas, click here
- May 28-Jun 2 (Niagara-on-the-Lake) CPA Canada in-depth HST-GST Course for tax professionals in Canada, here
- Jun 04 (Toronto) 10th Annual SEUS-CP Conference – Trade Partnerships at Work, here
- Jun 15 (Montreal) U.S. Canadian Summit Montreal (supported by Quebec Chapter), here
- Jun 18-20 (Washington) 2017 SelectUSA Investment Summit, here
- Apr 05 – Webinar-American Storm: Top Canadian Concerns (Ottawa Chapter)
- Apr 04 – Doing Business in eh “New” America (Peel Halton Niagara Chapter)
- Mar 30 – Planning for a Successful entry into the U.S.- Edmonton (Western Chapter)
- Mar 28 – Planning for a Successful entry into the U.S. - Calgary (Western Chapter)
- Mar 28 – AGM & Networking Event (Peel Halton Niagara Chapter)
- Mar 07 – Pipelines and Policy: The recent U.S. Election, Opportunities for Suncor and the Canadian Energy Industry (Western Chapter)
- Mar 06 – Interested in expanding your business into the U.S.? (Pacific Chapter)
For comments or suggestions concerning the AmCham Canada e-Communique
Follow AmCham Canada on Twitter @AmChamCanada
Register Now to participate in the AmCham Canada U.S. Business Confidence Survey!